Sexual Assault Services
24 Hour Crisis and Support Telephone Line
Women's House Serving Bruce & Grey was pleased to host a Women's Wellness
fair "Spring Into Health" on May 3, 2008. This was our kick off event for
Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Women of all ages participated in this
event and we had a variety of exhibitors taking part.
Our goal for this event was to provide a opportunity for women to have fun,
receive free health related information and increase awareness of sexual
violence and the support services offered by Women's House and many other
The crisis and support line is answered 24 hours a day by trained staff. The following services among others, can be accessed through the line:
- Confidential support for any woman who has been sexually assaulted recently or in the past
- Access to a sexual assault program counsellor for individual counselling
- Advocacy and accompaniment for justice, legal, health & medical issues
- Information and referrals to other agencies, professional counsellors, groups and services in the community, if requested
- Access to the sexual assault centre program education and support groups for survivors of sexual assault or child sexual abuse
- Information concerning sexual assault, incest and child sexual abuse laws, medical, police and court procedures, if requested
- Support and information for friends and family
Feminist model individual and group counselling is provided by trained counselling staff. Counsellors also provide advocacy, referrals and liaison for clients and the general community pertaining to sexual assault.
Community Development and Public Education
These services include education and public speaking to community groups and in schools on all aspects of sexual assault; training of professionals on how to be effective in supporting survivors of different forms of sexual violence; the development and maintenance of a client library and resource material; liaison, planning and evaluative work with the Community Advisory Committee; and leadership in ending sexual violence in Grey & Bruce through work with the Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Coordinating Committees as well as organizing various events and community forums.
Sexual violence services will be provided by sexual assault counsellors to women in Kincardine, Wiarton, Owen Sound, Durham, Walkerton, Hanover, Port Elgin, Markdale and Meaford. Transportation assistance can be provided if needed for women to access counselling services.
Practical assistance includes childcare and transportation, provided through the volunteer program and/or financial assistance. This assistance is provided for women using agency services.
Volunteers can assist in the following areas:
- Public Education
All volunteers are screened and fully trained. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the following link: WHSBG Volunteer Database
For more information on Sexual Assault Services or to volunteer contact the office at (519) 372-1113 ext. 225
Back to Women's House Home Page